Friday, September 28, 2012

Am I nervous?

Everyone keeps asking me, "are you nervous about traveling alone?"...and a part of me is...but not as much as people might think. Yes there is some anxiety about going to a foreign country alone and more so when you don't speak the native tongue, but I'm more interested about how I will react in this situation. For me it's an experiment in which I'm the lab rat and scientist. I'm in a maze and I'm watching to see if and how I will find my way out. I'm a survivor by nature and I'm sure in this situation where I'm not on familiar ground, my instincts will kick in. I will adapt and of course be fine. This experience for me is about conquering something much greater. As social as people think I am and outgoing, which I can be, when comfortable...I'm actually quite shy. I can be extremely quite and very much the introvert especially when in an unfamiliar setting. I tend to retreat and become more of an observer of my surroundings. Whether it's a gathering where I don't know anyone or exploring a new country on my own. When I'm with a group or even one friend I'm totally fine, extremely social and outgoing. The test for me is coming out of my shell even when I'm not completely comfortable. I know in order for me to get the full experience of this trip I will need to do just that. So here goes to being social and coming out of my shell...all on my own! 

Here's me in Montreal this past winter...ready for my adventure! 

2 comments:

  1. It will be a freeing situation and believe me, you will come back empowered! You just have to watch Under the Tuscan Sun before you leave and I realize that I forgot to give it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears of joy when I read this blog. This will be an amazing, life changing experience for you and a journey of finding your true self in the midst of new surroundings. An adventure that many do not have the opportunity to experience in their lives. Many blessings during this experiement. I look forward to reading about your path through this fabulous MAZE!! I pray God grant you traveling mercies and that he continue to order your steps.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete