Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Oh Napoli...

I arrived into Naples on Sunday and immediately could tell I was no longer in Rome. I had preconceived judgements on Naples as I heard from several individuals that Naples "wasn't anything great." It's true it's not Rome...it's smaller and definitely a lot more grungier and pretty dirty. There was one point where I was walking down a small alleyway heading to the Naples National Archaeological Museum and it brought me back, "NYC circa 1993". Graffiti lined streets with bootleggers trying to grab the attention of anyone with their selection of Prada, LV, Gucci, and Dior hangbags/wallets...anyone interested??? 
Not sure what they are selling over there??
Bootleggers hiding their goods...the cops are coming!!!

Little side-street...should I venture??
My apartment in Naples is actually really nice, its modern decor, loft-style, very comfortable and close to the center of town. The building on the other hand is a little scary...you should have seen my face when I found Via Nardones, 48...I started to look around to make sure I had the right place...and after I asked this nosey old women looking out of her window, she confirmed for me that it was the right place! When I made it to the 4th floor and saw this white metal frame door with frosted glass it was a complete transformation from the rest of the building. Apparently the gentlemen I rented from owns that entire 4th floor and has renovated all the apartments on that floor, not bad!



Naples isn't completely a wash and definitely has some interesting sites, which I enjoyed. Who doesn't love visiting a Royal Palace...talk about excessive, but hey that's royalty! You weren't allowed to take pictures inside the Palace but I snuck a few :-) 

Grand Entrance...that's elaborate! 
Everyone should have a 100 seat theater in their home!  
I also had the opportunity to visit Castel Nuovo that was dated back to the late 1200's of which was inhabited by the royal family of that time. Naples has a rich and interesting history and as I explored more, I definitely began to appreciate it. 
Castel Nuovo
The narrow side streets are full of energy and life, people chatting and talking about their day. Children happy to get out of class and the elderly picking up some fresh basil and tomato's from the market. Naples may not rank high in some books but you have to appreciate it for what it is. It's a thriving small city with the largest historic area in Europe. The best part of course is the Pizza! You can't come to Naples and not have Pizza, the birthplace of it all. Molto Bene!! Very Good!! I meant to take a picture but ate it so fast...next time :-) Here are some more pics of the town of Naples...next stop Sorrento!
Port of Naples
Galleria Umberto 1

Books anyone??

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment