Saturday, October 6, 2012

Roma Così Grande "So Grand"

It's been a few days since I've made a post and primarily because I've been non-stop since my first night. Today is the first day that I don't have a tour planned and therefore enjoying the beautiful weather as I write to you from my terrace sipping on a cappuccino. I will definitely visit one more museum or two this afternoon and partake in some fine shopping...looking for a suit...maybe shoes and a new pair of shades :-) It's been pretty amazing so far and will give you some of my key highlights. 

I've been to Italy before, I guess ten years ago with one my best friends Eric...and we visited northern Italy and I was in love with how beautiful the country was. Now 10 years later I've fallen even deeper in love with this country as Rome is such an amazing city. I see why people say it's definitely one of their favorite places to visit. It could also be that I've been quite fortunate to have amazing weather the entire time, I think there was one shower/sprinkle when I first arrived on Tuesday but since that it's been sunny skies and mid-upper 70's...just perfect for walking. I'm a history buff, love anything ancient and this city is full of it...I also love italian food...I love walking and exploring and the people are all so nice. It's really the history of this city that has me in awe...I recall reading about this in history books, watching movies or shows like "Rome" on HBO and being so enthralled. To be able to walk the same streets that Emperors once walked - well not actually as the ancient city is several feet below the current city...so just depends where you are...but still so cool for me. I can't get enough of the Colosseum...I think I spent 30-45 minutes in one spot just starting aimlessly onto the main stage reliving what it must have been like when Emperor Titus first opened the Colosseum. Over the past few days I've seen as much history that you would learn in a semester course of ancient Rome as well as more current periods. (Pantheon, Vatican City, Roman Forum, tons of church's/basilica's, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, tons of Piazza's and more...) 

I guess the lesson for me here is that it probably would have not been the same experience had I not done this alone...as I was really able to soak it all in, just the way I wanted...not having to worry about anyone or anything...just me. Now I can't say this has been the easiest process for me either, as I'm not one who likes to do anything alone...plus struggling a bit with the language barrier and getting lost and not wanting to look like a tourist...well I got over that real quick. Yesterday I didn't care...map was out and I was maneuvering my way around the city and the subway and definitely a lot easier then a few days ago. 

Some of the lessons I've learned is that: 

  1. Not to be afraid of doing anything alone 
  2. But more importantly not to care what other people may think b/c in reality no one really cares that much...so what if I look like a tourist...and so what if I eat alone...that's been a big "aha" moment for me. 

Of course I miss Michael & Dexter and my friends but this is one experience I wouldn't change or want to have any other way...I'm just doing me in Rome and it feels empowering and inspiring...exactly what I wanted from this trip and I still have 5-6 more days and destinations to visit...so I'm pleased! 

Key Learnings for those that maybe visiting or planning a trip to Rome:

  1. Buy the RomaPass it grants access to two museums or historical sites for free and after your two free any other sites you visit are discounted...Plus you get three days of unlimited metro...great deal for just 30 euros. 
  2. I did a walking tour my 1st full day...great b/c you get to see the sites someone gives you the historical background, prevents you from getting lost and whatever you really want to go back and see more of...you can do on your own...highly recommended. I usually hate tours! 
  3. I also bought a bus tour ticket which is probably in most cities...never did one before but was cool and came in handy after hours of walking...worth it! There are tons of bus tour options available. 
  4. Probably one of the best experiences so far and the most fun was a cooking class I took...I and 6 other individuals cooked an entire italian meal...also probably the best meal I've had so far. So friends be ready I will be hosting a dinner soon and showing you what I learned...plus the people that I met were all great and interesting. 
Enough writing...here's some pics below from the past few days...I will probably post some more as a separate post. 

St. Peter's Basilica from the Vatican Gardens

In front of the largest fountain in the Vatican Gardens

Is it for sale??? 

Actually looks like too much work is required...

Sistine Chapel

Picking up some meat for the cooking class

2 comments:

  1. Amazing!!!! As I read I get full of excitement for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Oprah would be very proud of your aha moments:)!

    Can't wait to see and read more and hear about your cooking class!

    Miss you!

    xo
    Alison

    ReplyDelete